First, it is important to understand both the technical and environmental implications of a swimming pool project.
Types and classification of pool designs
There are many types of swimming pools, including those with cold or hot water. They can be used for relaxing, competition or bathing. It is important to choose the right construction type for your site and its intended function. The use of the pool will determine the design choices for shape, size, and depth.
You can install swimming pools with different materials.
- reinforced concrete
- Prefabricated steel structure with galvanized steel wall panels
- Expanded polystyrene formwork
- In fiberglass
- There are many types of swimming pools to meet different needs.
- For swimmers and swimming training
- For diving and other underwater activities
- Recreational, for swimming and playing;
- Multifunctionality allows for multiple activities and uses at once
- For rehabilitation, curative, and thermal purposes. Similarly, variable shapes, different depths and the insertion of water features are preferred for recreational purposes. Multipurpose pools tend to combine both these needs. Concerning depth, the first thing to consider is the length of the pool. It would be best if you also verified whether you would need a trampoline or diving access. You should also consider the type of bottom material. There are many options available, but not all can be used. This is because the pool’s perimeter shapes will determine which ones work best. Generally, we could refer to four shapes of water depth:Flat: same depth at both ends of the swimming pool. Sloped: pool floor gradient starts with a 50 cm depth and progressively continues down to the desired depths Spooned: the bottom is first sloping and then creates a sinking with the shape of a spoon, to ensure maximum depth in the diving areas-shaped: the deepest part is at the center of the pool. Public swimming pools can have multiple functions: Competition pools Exercise pool rehabilitation / thermal / therapy pool well being and relax pools.
For all of these types, standards, prescriptions, and indications are required. However, competition pools can only be categorized in the following categories: Olympic swimming pool (50x25mt), depth min 1,80-20,00 mt and depth max 2,10mt. Lane width 2,5mt.)Semi-Olympic pool (21x25mt)Water treatment and recovery systems water treatment systems water filtration systems water treatment and water treatment systems water polo field (20x30mt), min depth. Most pool skimmers can be accessed from the deck through a trap door, hatch or rectangular-shaped opening. Pool water is drawn into the tank’s upper sides, where it collects debris and then dries out to go into a compensating tank. The channel can be positioned at the pool edge or set back behind a tiled margin for at least 60% of the pool perimeter. This system involves more accurate filtration and allows effective aesthetic results, creating a ‘knife edge’ pool effect. Compensation tankThe compensation tank is a lateral structure that captures the surface water, directing it towards the filtration systems and which keeps the water level unchanged.
- Furthermore, the volume of the compensation tank must be sufficient to maintain the maximum number of bathing people present in the tank (usually 8-10% of the main tank). Other aspects of the swimming pool project: cladding, pool surrounds, copings and equipmentCladdingsAfter defining the type of pool to be built, it is necessary to choose an appropriate type of cladding, to guarantee good safety and hygiene requirements and a pleasant aesthetic result. The pool cladding runs from the bottom to the pool walls. There are many options available. PVC pools have a non-slippery surface. It is also resistant to UV rays. This coating is only used for reinforced concrete pools. Gres is the most popular material in the form of tiles. It is glued to the tank’s bottom and walls and requires an external and internal waterproofing treatment. The mosaic can be made in a variety of textures and colors to suit every taste. It is the perfect covering for anyone who wants to make a visual impact. Although the mosaic is used in the same way as tiles, it has many uses. The laying phases are identical to that of ceramic coating. They require a relative waterproofing treatment for pools and careful execution of each task. Although it does not guarantee a 100% hydraulic seal, it often accompanies other interventions. Glass fiber is another option to cover the pool. It is waterproof, durable, and can withstand water leaks. Natural stones are primarily chosen for their beauty, particularly if the pool is placed in a rustic and natural setting. Natural stones have the advantage of being durable, low in water absorption and are also suitable for pool edges.
- There are many options for paving the pool’s exterior. Here are some: wood – teak, frassino, iroko and in general all those materials that show high resistance to humidity and bad weather marble – to confer an elegant appearance natural stone – aesthetically remarkable, absorbs water in minimal quantities, allowing to have an anti-slip surface cement – a low cost, versatile material that does not require much maintenance cotton – shows excellent resistance against the elements and is a material resistant to the attack of moss and mold and is non-slip material pebbles – used exclusively for aesthetic purposes, also ensuring a non-slip surface. Copings is an element of the design of in-ground pools, which, by definition, is the edging placed around the top edge of the pool. It has several functions – it separates the structure from the decking and serves as a frame, protects the swimming pool, and protects the surroundings from being damaged by water. Equipment Finally, pools can be equipped with many accessories, such as a ladder trampoline, in the pools that allow you to practice divings lied mushroom fountain (with jet effect nozzle)underwater lighting placed underwater to light up the inside of the pool hydro massage jets which, by mixing air and water, provides targeted jets with a massaging effect pool heating that allows you to adjust the water temperature.
- UK building regulations and permission for swimming pools The UK Planning Portal section is here.